Are you a Gettysburg College psychology major interested in developing, implementing, and empirically examining ways for students to support one another in our department? Several psychology majors will be hired each semester to take the lead in fostering mutually-beneficial peer-mentoring relationships with other students, in the Psychology P.A.L.S. (Peer And Learning Support) project.
If you are interested in joining this project for Fall 2023, contact Prof. Berenson, within the first week of the semester.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Helping to develop and implement student-led peer support programming, which includes holding weekly drop-in hours for psychology students to meet, socialize, and/or study together as well as hosting informational events and activities
- Learning and practicing interpersonally and culturally competent skills for providing holistic support to diverse students individually and in small groups
- Facilitating discussions on both academic and non-academic topics of importance in the lives of psychology students
- Providing a welcoming and inclusive environment that where differences and autonomy are valued
- Meeting at least weekly with other interns
- Collaborating as needed with Gettysburg faculty, staff, and alums
- Regularly completing an internship journal to reflect on the project and your contributions to it
- Research opportunities with PALS and/or the Personality Lab are also available depending on the interest and experience level of the intern — such as finding/reading relevant research literature, helping to develop and conduct surveys/studies, coding, analyzing, interpreting and writing about research data
- Psychology major who has taken at least 2 Psychology courses at Gettysburg College
- Interested in supporting the wellbeing of all psychology students
- Committed to showing up for at least 1-2 hours on most Tuesday or Wednesday evenings
- Willing to self-reflect about your communication/listening skills and the impact of your behavior on others
STAY TUNED FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PSYCH P.A.L.S.